How do I import last year’s return into my H&R Block Tax Software?
Though the software from H&R Block helps you import last year’s tax return and tells you what you need, you still might have some questions about the process.
First, let’s start with the files you can import in H&R Block Tax Software. There are two types of files you can use to import your tax return from last year:
- Prior-year tax data file from:
- H&R Block software
- TurboTax software
- PDF copy of your return from any source, including:
- H&R Block Tax Software
- H&R Block Online
- H&R Block tax office
- TurboTax online or software
- TaxAct Online
- Any other tax prep company where you have a PDF copy of your prior-year return
- A scanned PDF copy of your paper return
If you have both a tax data file and a PDF, the tax data file will let us import more tax return data than a PDF of your return.
How to Import Your Tax Return From Last Year
To import last year’s tax return to H&R Block Tax Software, follow these steps:
- On the My 2019 Taxes screen, click Start a Return.
- On the How do you want to import your taxes from last year? screen, choose the type of file you want to import.
- Click Next.
- Choose the tax return file you want to import, or drag and drop the file if it’s a PDF. If the file you want isn’t listed, click Browse to find it.
- H&R Block tax return files from last year have a .T18 extension.
- TurboTax® files have a .tax2018 extension.
- PDF files will have the .pdf extension.
- Click Import Selected File.
- On the successful import screen, click View Summary to see a summary of the info you’re importing.
- Click Next.
- Enter a file name for your return. The program will automatically save it the Documents/HRBlock folder.
- You can also use the Browse button to save your return to a different folder.
- Click Save and Continue.
Was this topic helpful?