Explore All Topics

How Do I Find Out Why The IRS Offset My Tax Refund?

1 min read

1 min read

The Bureau of Fiscal Services will send you a notice if there’s a refund offset. The offset notice will show:

  • Original refund amount
  • Your refund offset amount
  • Agency receiving the payment
  • Address and telephone number of the agency

If you don’t get a notice, you’ll need to call:

  • Bureau of Fiscal Services at 800-304-3107
  • TDD at 866-297-0517

Contact the agency listed on the notice if:

  • You believe you don’t owe the debt.
  • You’re disputing the amount of money that has been taken from your refund.

Contact the IRS only if your original refund on the debt offset notice differs from the refund amount on your return.

Learn exactly what to do if you get an IRS notice about a tax return or account problem — like when the IRS offsets your refund.

You can also get an expert to look into the issue for you. Learn about H&R Block Tax Audit & Notice Services.

Was this topic helpful?