What is a W-7 Form?
The answer to the questions “What is a Form W-7?” and “Where to send a W-7 Form?” is this…
Most people have heard about ITIN, or an individual taxpayer identification number, used, yet need to file a U.S. tax return. What you may not have heard of is the form you file to claim this number.
ITIN and Form W-7 work hand in hand. In fact, a Form W-7 is the document to apply for an ITIN. The Form W-7 asks for:
- Your name, mailing address and, if different, foreign address
- Your birth date and location of birth
- Your country of citizenship
- Your foreign tax ID number, if applicable
- Your U.S. visa number, if applicable
- Other details verifying your identity
In addition, you will need two of the following unexpired documents, or certified copies, to support the information you provide on Form W-7:
- A passport
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo ID
- U.S. Department of State issued Visa
- U.S. driver’s license
- U.S. military ID card
- Foreign driver’s license
- Foreign military ID card
- National ID card with name, address, photo, date of birth, and expiration date
- U.S. state ID card
- Foreign voter’s registration card
- Civil birth certificate
- Medical records (for a dependent under age 6)
- School records (for a dependent student under age 18)
At least one of the two documents must have a photo unless you are a dependent under a certain age. Some documents can establish your foreign status, identity, or both. If you have an original valid passport and are not a dependent, you may not need a second document.
More Details On Form W-7
An ITIN is only used for federal tax filing – it does not change your residency, right to work, or immigration status. Generally, you shouldn’t apply for an ITIN via Form W-7 until you need it for a tax return.
Where to Send Form W-7
You can file Form W-7 with your federal income tax return.
A tax return accompanied by one or more W-7 forms cannot be submitted electronically or via mail.
Where To Go For Form W-7 Help
H&R Block also offers ITIN assistance – so leave it to a tax pro to help you complete Form W-7. Whether you make an appointment with one of our knowledgeable tax pros or choose one of our online tax filing products, you can count on H&R Block to help you feel confident. Get help filing the W-7 tax form today.
Was this topic helpful?