Although not all inclusive, listed below are some of the criminal activities in violations of the tax law:
- Deliberately underreporting or omitting income
- Overstating the amount of deductions
- Keeping two sets of books
- Making false entries in books and records
- Claiming personal expenses as business expenses
- Claiming false deductions
- Hiding or transferring assets or income
More from H&R Block
Tax fraud is a deliberate act of understating income and/or overstating deductions with the intent of avoiding paying the correct amount of taxes. It is much more than just leaving something off a tax return. The IRS must prove that you intentionally made the error. Tax fraud is a criminal offense punishable by fines and/or prison time.
Was this topic helpful?