IRS Notice CP14I – Balance Due


You have a balance due on the return for the year shown on the notice.

Type of notice: Unpaid balance

Likely next step: Address a bill for unpaid taxes

Also see: IRS return and account problems

Why you received IRS Notice CP14I

  1. You have an IRA or tax-sheltered account and filed a tax return.
  2. The IRS determined, based on the information provided on the return, that you either:
    • Did not take out the required minimum distribution from a traditional IRA or
    • Put more into a tax-sheltered account (IRA, Roth IRA or Medical/Health/Education Savings Account) than is allowed.
  3. The IRS sent CP14I to inform you of the resulting tax, penalties, and interest due.

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss this deadline: Additional penalties and interest will be due.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

What To Do If You Can’t Pay Your Taxes

Learn about the different options when you can't pay or still owe money from a past return from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Avoid IRS Liens and Levies

Liens and levies are tools the IRS uses to collect back taxes. Learn more about each one -- and how to avoid tax liens and levies by working with the IRS.

Private: The Four Types of IRS Penalty Relief – and How to Know What’s Best for You

Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.

How to Use First-Time Penalty Abatement

Get the facts from H&R Block about the widely available but little-known IRS penalty relief option called first-time penalty abatement.

Power of Attorney: It’s How Your Tax Pro Deals with the IRS For You

Learn the three main benefits of engaging a power of attorney to research your IRS account and resolve your tax problems. Get the facts from the experts at H&R Block.