IRS Notice CP08 – Important Information About the Additional Child Tax Credit


The IRS sends CP08 to inform you that you may be eligible for an additional child tax credit. As a result, you may receive a refund.

Type of Notice: Return accuracy

Most common tax problem area: IRS return and account problems

Why you received IRS Notice CP08

  1. You filed an original return with the IRS listing dependent children but did not claim the additional child tax credit.
  2. The IRS determined that you may qualify for the additional child tax credit and may be due a refund because of the credit.
  3. The IRS sent CP08 to inform you that you may qualify for the credit and to ask you to complete and return the enclosed additional child tax credit worksheet. If the IRS confirms that you qualify for the credit, a refund will be sent in six to eight weeks. If you determine that you do not qualify for the credit, no further action is needed.

Your options to address IRS Notice CP08

  1. Provide the requested information

Notice deadline: N/A

Want more help?

See your local tax pro for a free consultation.

Related Tax Terms

IRS Transcript Authorization

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.

Want to Know if You’re in Good Standing with the IRS? Here’s How.

For many people, their status with the IRS is a mystery. Learn four ways to request your tax information from the IRS to make sure you're in good standing.

When Not to File an Amended Return

Don't confuse the IRS and make your situation worse by filing an amended return when you shouldn't. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.