IRS Letter 6000 – Advanced Premium Tax Credit Recipients Non-Filer Letter


You must file a tax return to reconcile advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit.

Type of Notice: Late return

Likely next step: File a tax return

Also see: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Letter 6000

  1. You obtained health insurance coverage from the Health Insurance Marketplace and received advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit to help you pay your monthly premium.
  2. The IRS did not receive a tax return by the due date and no extension was filed.
  3. The IRS sent Letter 6000 to inform you that you must file a tax return to be eligible to continue to receive advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit. If no return is filed, you will not be eligible for advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit next year and you may be required to repay the credit you received. You should file a return as soon as possible. Returns filed after the end of August will involve a complicated process to avoid interruption of the advanced payments.

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss the deadline: You increase the risk of an interruption in receiving advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

Nine Tips to Get Back on Track with the IRS When You Haven’t Filed Tax Returns

If you haven't filed required tax returns, find out how far back you may need to file, and get the nine tips you need to know about filing back tax returns.

Private: The Four Types of IRS Penalty Relief – and How to Know What’s Best for You

Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.

It’s Been A Few Years Since I Filed A Tax Return. Should I Start Filing Again?

If you haven't filed tax returns in awhile, there are things you need to know. Learn how to address back tax returns and what you can expect when you file.