IRS Letter 2802C – You Need to Withhold More Taxes


The amount you are having withheld from your paycheck is not enough to cover your taxes.

Type of notice: Account information or change

Possible next step: Address an IRS return or account problem

Also see: IRS bill for unpaid taxes, IRS penalties

Why you received IRS Letter 2802C

  1. You are not currently having enough federal income taxes withheld from your paycheck to cover the taxes you owe.
  2. The IRS sent Letter 2802C to instruct you to file a new Form W-4 with your employer and to increase the amount you are having withheld.

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss the deadline: If you do not comply with this request, the IRS will issue a Lock-In Letter requiring your employer to withhold taxes at the highest rate possible.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

What To Do When You Have an Estimated Tax Penalty

Learn more about your options to reduce or remove an IRS estimated tax penalty. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Address IRS Penalties

Learn how to address and understand an IRS tax penalty from the tax experts at H&R Block.

The Top 10 Consequences of Tax Debt

Learn what to do when you can’t pay your taxes – to avoid these 10 consequences of tax debt. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.