IRS Letter 257C – We Corrected Your Name or Taxpayer Identification Number


The discrepancy between your name and your Taxpayer Identification Number has been corrected.

Type of notice: Account information or change

Likely next step: Address a return or account problem

Why you received IRS Letter 257C

  1. You filed a tax return.
  2. During processing, the IRS found a discrepancy between your taxpayer identification number and your name as shown in IRS records.
  3. You contacted the IRS to resolve the discrepancy.
  4. The IRS sent Letter 257C to notify you that the discrepancy was resolved. If a refund is due, you should receive your refund in four to six weeks.

Notice deadline: N/A

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Related Tax Terms

IRS Notice

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Six Reasons You Might Have Gotten a Notice Instead of Your Refund

Didn't get your expected tax refund? Learn about six possible reasons for this unexpected change from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.

Want to Know if You’re in Good Standing with the IRS? Here’s How.

For many people, their status with the IRS is a mystery. Learn four ways to request your tax information from the IRS to make sure you're in good standing.

How Long Does It Take to Resolve Tax Problems?

The length of time it will take to resolve your tax problem depends on the type of issue and the complexity. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.