IRS Letter 2269C – Delinquent Tax Return/Insufficient Response


The IRS has not received a tax return for the year listed on the letter.

Type of Notice: Late return

Likely next step: File a return

Also see: Return/account problems, IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Letter 2269C

  1. The IRS did not receive a complete tax return from you by the due date or you contacted the IRS about a problem with a tax return.
  2. The IRS sent Letter 2269C to notify you that information received by the IRS indicates you must file a tax return, or provide additional information. If you contacted the IRS about a problem with a return, the notice explains the additional information the IRS needs.

Notice deadline: 45 days

If you miss the deadline: If you did not file a tax return, the IRS will file one for you with the information received from others such as employers and banks. If the IRS requested that you provide additional information and you do not provide it, they will be unable to respond to your inquiry.

Want more help?

See your local tax pro for a free consultation.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

How to Get Your Old IRS Forms W-2 and 1099

Need copies of your old Forms W-2 or 1099? Learn about the four different ways to obtain IRS wage and income transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Private: Five Reasons Self-Employed People Should File Back Tax Returns — Now

Learn about the consequences you may face if you are self-employed and have unfiled returns. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Nine Tips to Get Back on Track with the IRS When You Haven’t Filed Tax Returns

If you haven't filed required tax returns, find out how far back you may need to file, and get the nine tips you need to know about filing back tax returns.

Private: The Four Types of IRS Penalty Relief – and How to Know What’s Best for You

Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.

What to Do If I Owe Taxes and Can’t Pay

Can’t pay your taxes this year? You’re not alone. Learn why you should still file your return even if you can't pay from the tax experts at H&R Block.