IRS Letter 2205 – Your Federal Income Tax Return Has Been Selected for Examination
Letter 2205 notifies you that a tax return is being audited.
Type of Notice: Return accuracy
Most common tax problem area: IRS audits
Other tax problem areas: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes
Why you received IRS Letter 2205
- The IRS selected your tax return for an audit.
- The IRS is requesting that you call to make an audit appointment.
- During the appointment, the IRS will expect you to provide documents to support one or more items on your tax return.
Your options to address IRS Letter 2205
- Provide the requested documentation
- Dispute the taxes you owe
- Dispute the penalties
Notice deadline: 7 days
If you miss the deadline: The IRS may not allow the items in question on your tax return and will assess additional tax, penalties and interest.
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
Was this topic helpful?